Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Why I Teach Dance

Enjoying a Happy Moment with Students
For me, there is nothing more rewarding then teaching. I have been teaching dance for over 25 years and have enjoyed watching children grow up from a unique perspective. I realize the responsibility I have in working with children, and I do my best to have a positive influence in their life. I have taught some kids from the time they were in preschool and now have the privilege of knowing them as adults. I take it very seriously and I find great joy in my students and their accomplishments. People that I teach have a great deal of impact on me as well. Even the students that I only spend a short time with, often leave an impression on me. They all are unique and have their own set of talents and challenges. There is nothing more amazing than seeing a shy and timid student gradually transform. Even the most apprehensive can soon be arriving at dance class with enthusiasm and standing at the barre or strapping on their tap shoes with confidence - knowing exactly what to do. 
I do not teach dance with the goal of creating professional dancers, although I have taught many who have gone on to careers in dance, entertainment or arts education. It is most certainly gratifying to see a former student succeed on a professional level. However, I teach dance to help kids with their confidence and grace. I teach dance to help a student develop their personality and improve their social skills. I teach dance to help people feel less awkward or be able to loosen up and have fun. I teach dance because I know how much positive impact it can have on any person.  
I know my fellow dance instructors would agree that there is something wonderful about seeing a student achieve their goal - whether it be to become a professional dancer, get on their high school dance team, or to just be able to do a shuffle ball change or a pirouette. 
Miss Lisa
Dance classes are such an excellent choice for coordination development in children and young adults. Dance can have a big influence on a persons' overall confidence. It is also an excellent way to improve athletic agility. However the most wonderful thing about dancing is the personal growth that can be achieved. It can contribute to the overall success of any person, and best of all - it's fun! I love seeing that more than anything else as a dance instructor.
I am so thankful to have had a wonderful teachers myself. From the woman who taught me combo classes as a young girl, to the teacher who mentored and nurtured me through my teens, to the dynamic teachers who taught me in LA... I am so very thankful to them. It is amazing to have been given the gift of passion for my craft and also the talent of communication to pass my knowledge on to the next generation. There is nothing more rewarding to me and I feel so blessed to have found my calling! I always love that saying... "Pay It Forward", and I aim to do it everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment